Another Dupe Time for you all today! And it is MAC v New Look. We seem to just be comparing MAC lipsticks and to be honest, it’s mainly because we don’t own that many high end/expensive lipsticks. But we do have other high end lipsticks to compare soon so don’t worry!
MAC Matte Lipstick in Deep Rooted – £16.50
New Look, which is a clothing brand if you weren’t aware, doesn’t have a specific description for this particular shade. On the website, they do describe all their liquid lipsticks as a whole. They claim that is it “full-coverage, long-lasting lip lacquer” which are “enriched with Vitamin E and Avocado Oil to moisturise and smooth lips”.
Again, MAC only has an initial description for all their built lipsticks which are described as “a creamy rich Lipstick formula with high colour payoff in a no-shine matte finish”. However, it does describe this particular shade as “brown taupe”. If you look at the picture on the website and compare it to our swatch, it does look like two different lipsticks. On both of us, it does seem more grey-taupe than a brown-taupe.
As you can see from the photo above, both shades look pretty similar. Fawn looks much brighter in colour and look more purpley-taupe. Deep Rooted looks like a faded version on Fawn, on my lips.
New Look – Fawn
- POSITIVES – New Look makeup aren’t tested on animal HOWEVER, they do “use animal derived ingredients in our cosmetic products, but these must be collected without harm to animals.”. If you want to read more about their Animal Welfare policy, click here.
- quick drying and lasts for ages. It also doesn’t smear around which is definitely a plus especially with a colour like this.
- really opaque – after one swipe, it covered my bottom lip completely.
- the price – it’s great quality for the low price.
- NEGATIVES – because it dries so quickly, there is no room for mistakes.
- not the biggest fan of the applicator. It’s quite big so it makes it a bit harder to finesse especially around the edges.
MAC – Deep Rooted
- POSITIVES – comfortable on. For a matte lipstick, you would expect it to be quite drying. But this was actually quite comfortable.
- lightweight on – doesn’t feel like you have lipstick on which I always like!
- NEGATIVES – NOT cruelty free so if that bother you then this is a no go for you.
- takes a LONG time to dry and smears very easily.
- doesn’t last very long.
- a bit on the sheer side so you would need to layer it to get the optimum opacity.
- the price – just because I am a huge drugstore fan that’s all really.
O V E R A L L
I think this one may be a tie y’know! The main thing I look for in a lipstick is how comfortable it is and WILL be throughout the day. And because both are comfortable, it all really falls down on your budget or what you’re feeling on the day. If you don’t mind a more sheer, subtle lipstick then go for the MAC. But if you want something more long lasting and afforable then go for the New Look one.
Anyhoo that’s all for now. I hope that has helped you a bit!